1. Passengers may purchase Excess Baggage either:
- in advance via Online Check in on the Virgin Atlantic website (www.virginatlantic.com); or
- at the airport.
2. In order to be eligible to purchase Excess Baggage passengers must hold a valid ticket on a Qualifying Flight. A "Qualifying Flight" is a flight on services operated by Virgin Atlantic only (not on flights operated by codeshare partners).
3. Passengers shall be charged at the rates applicable at the time of purchase.
4. In case of a flight cancellation or diversion:
(i) Where passengers are re-booked on to another Virgin Atlantic flight, we will attempt to carry Excess Baggage purchased;
(ii) If for operational or safety reasons we are unable to carry your Excess Baggage on the re-booked flight, we will arrange for your Excess Baggage to be transported on another flight at no extra cost;
(iii) Where a passenger is re-booked on another carrier, the charges already paid will be refunded in accordance with Virgin Atlantic’s refund process and the passenger will be booked in the equivalent class of cabin as purchased on their original ticket and in accordance with such carrier’s policies and procedures.
5. Virgin Atlantic shall not be liable for any higher excess baggage charges and/or lower weight allowances imposed by another carrier.
6. Subject to paragraph 5 (iii) above, payments made for Excess Baggage are non-refundable. No cash or credit alternatives will be offered.
7. Excess Baggage allowances are non-transferable to other passengers.
8. Should a passenger decide upgrade to a different cabin, any Excess Baggage allowance which may have already been purchased is non-refundable.
9. The purchase of Excess Baggage in advance or at the airport does not alter the terms or fare rules the ticket purchased nor does it alter check-in times or any other aspect of the Virgin Atlantic service.
10. The purchase of Excess Baggage does not entitle passengers to earn additional Flying Club miles or tier points.
11. All refunds will be processed by the Airline’s central accounts department in the UK and credited back to the original form of payment.
12. All carriage of baggage is subject to the rules contained in Virgin Atlantic’s Conditions of Carriage and to its baggage policies (available here).
13. Should any piece of Excess Baggage exceed the weight or dimension limits or does not comply with the rules governing the carriage of baggage, Virgin Atlantic shall have the right to refuse to carry such Excess Baggage.
14. In case of conflict between these terms and Virgin Atlantic’s Conditions of Carriage, the Conditions of Carriage shall prevail.
15. Infants not occupying a seat (“Lap Infants”) are entitled to 1 piece of excess baggage when travelling in Economy Light only.
16. It is not possible to purchase additional hand baggage allowance.
17. Virgin Atlantic reserves the right to amend any or all of these terms and conditions, without notice and at any time.
18. These terms and conditions are governed by English law and are subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
Date of publication: 17 March 2018